Other than cleaning the inner pot, it’s hard to know what else you need to be doing to keep your Instant Pot squeaky clean and working properly. For an exhaustive tutorial, read over this article from The Kitchn. Here are my quick tips:
Every time you use your IP:
- Clean the inner pot in the sink or dishwasher. If the pot becomes cloudy, use vinegar to clean. Don’t use steel wool.
- Use a small brush or thin, damp sponge to clean the crevice at the top of the unit. It often ends up with little spills or bits of dried food.
- Wipe the inside of the lid with a damp cloth.
- Wipe the outside of the unit as needed with a damp cloth.
Every few times you use your IP:
- Remove the silicone ring and wash in the sink or dishwasher. If it is smelly, soak it in vinegar before cleaning again.
- Remove the plastic piece snapped on the back that catches condensation and over-fill and clean.
Everyone once and a while:
- Remove the gadgets in the lid and clean. See steps 6-8 for details.