I looooove key lime pie, and now that summer is fast approaching, it’s an excellent warm weather dessert. It requires minimal cooking, is refreshingly tart and creamy, and is served nice and chilly. Plus, there’s a super easy recipe for it just below this paragraph. Don’t believe me? TAKE A LOOK!
Key Lime Pie
For the crust:
7 oz graham crackers or ginger snaps, pulverized into crumbs
1 pinch salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh key lime or lime juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated zest
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the cookie crumbs, salt, and butter. Press into the pie pan in an even layer and up the sides.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice, and zest. Whisk until well combined and pour into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes until set and just a little jiggly. Let cool completely.
- If using the whipped cream: whip the cold cream and sugar in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe on top.
- Chill pie for 2-3 hours before eating. Store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.