For this installment of my monthly “Cooking The Simpsons” series, I tackle a whale of an ice cream cake. Check out the article to hear all about the backstory and read my detailed instructions for making what is essentially a Fudgy the Whale cake.
The layers of chocolate ice cream, fudge, chocolate cookie crumbs, vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream make this cake very nostalgic and classically delicious. But don’t stop there! Below are some other flavor combos for really mixing things up. You can use my basic instructions and simply replace the ingredients with the ones listed below. Woo hoo!
- Strawberry ice cream + Chocolate cookie crumbs and fudge + Vanilla ice cream = Neapolitan
- Chocolate chip ice cream + a layer of chopped cherries and fudge + Chocolate chip ice cream = Chocolate-covered cherry
- Vanilla ice cream + Caramel sauce + Chocolate ice cream = Milky Way
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream + Chocolate cookie crumbs and fudge + Mint chocolate chip ice cream = Grasshopper
- Strawberry ice cream + Chopped strawberries and vanilla cookie crumbs + Vanilla ice cream = Strawberry shortcake
- Coffee ice cream + Fudge + Vanilla ice cream = Mocha
The only limit is your imagination (and some general rules about flavor combinations)! Make one for your Memorial Day gathering and kick off summer in the most drool-worthy way possible.