My latest Cooking The Simpsons is up on Paste Magazine, and first of all go here and check it out.
Done? Okay cool. Paul and Linda McCartney’s backwards lentil soup recipe is just fine the way it is, but a great thing about lentil soup is the many ways you can personalize it. Really mix things up, bean soup style!
I’ve provided you a list of the many ways I like to modify Paul and Linda’s recipe, some vegetarian and some definitely not (sorry Lisa). With all of these options, I can make a big pot and eat lentil soup for lunch practically all week every other week and not get bored.
- Chopped up roasted or grilled eggplant
- Crumbled or sliced sausage, any kind
- Wilted spinach
- Cubed, cooked potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Canned tomatoes
- Shredded roasted chicken
- Roasted and cubed butternut squash
- Spices like cumin, smoked paprika, or curry powder
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- A dollop of ricotta cheese
- A dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh chives
- Fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro
- Crisp-cooked bacon or pancetta
- Micro greens
- Fresh jalapeno or chili
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Mix and match! Go nuts! Live that lentil life.