Cheese. Bacon. Think about that for a second.
I recently wrote an article about pork bacon alternatives for Paste, and while doing some research I discovered cheese bacon. It’s really just slicing smoked cheese, like smoked cheddar or gouda, and cooking it like bacon until it’s crispy-chewy. The texture mimics bacon quite nicely, and the smoky flavor really takes you there. It’s pretty great.
For all of you vegetarians out there who sorta miss bacon, and for those of you that just like cheese and bacon, I suggest you try it.
- Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat. Cast-iron works great.
- Spray lightly with oil.
- Place 1/8-1/4 inch slices of smoked cheese in pan, about an inch apart.
- Cook for 5 or so minutes, reducing heat if the cheese starts to pop and spit.
- Remove from pan when the slices are solid enough to handle, with some browning on the bottom.
- Let cool for a minute or two. EAT.